Modular house planning
strato.homes is an innovative startup that designs and builds modular houses from purchase to move-in in mere three months. A part of their vision is an AI planner that would create a floor-plan based on buyer’s choices and engineering restrictions imposed by their modular system. We were contracted by strato.homes to build a prototype of the AI planner.
Our solution consists of three main components:
- A floor-plan generation algorithm that formulates planning as a linear programming and constraint programming problem. We derived planning constraints by working closely with strato.homes’ architects, and as a result our algorithm is capable of generating sensible plans for thousands of different configuration options.
- A cloud infrastructure setup for high intensity computations.
- A backend service and a user interface for the exploration of results.
- We delivered a working PoC planner in 7 months, allowing strato.homes to quickly gauge the potential of this approach.
- Encouraged by our PoC, strato.homes is continuing to expand the feature set of the AI planner at strato.vip.